NiceNode is a simple desktop app that runs, monitors, and controls a node - built from the bottom up to easily run any containerized software.
The other options to run a node require technical skills to open a terminal and run commands or install a new operating system. Running a node should be as simple as downloading an app - and we’ve been working hard on NiceNode to make this happen.
It is a public good because it is free, open-source, and enables people to run public infrastructure - blockchain nodes and more!
We have built an app which provides the easiest way for users to run nodes - and the app is designed from the bottom up so that any containerized software can added in the future with a pull request - our docs to add a new node. Ethereum nodes, Layer 2 nodes, and Farcaster Hubs are available now.
~$180K in funding over 1.5 years mostly from Gitcoin Rounds, Optimism Retro Public Goods Funding (PGF), and a grant from the Ethereum Ecosystem Support Program (ESP), and a small grant from CityDAO.
For us, success means increasing the number of healthy, running nodes and make progress towards staking. With funding, we aim to work on the following over the next 3-4 months…
Improve the reliability on Mac and Windows by contributing to Podamn - which is an open-source alternative to DockerDesktop on Mac and Windows
Improve internal “operations” of the app - such as handling node and Podman updates smoothly
Complete proof-of-concepts of some DVT staking protocols like Diva or Stakewise, only available to NiceNode users on Linux/Ubuntu.
Add a complimentary or fun “node” option - such as a local Gitlab or Minecraft server to show the generic capabilities of NiceNode
$50K which is 3 months of funds for 4 core-contributors. Ideal funding would give us security of funds and allow us to deeply focus on building as opposed to applying to different grants.
- Johns Gresham - 2 years working on NiceNode, 7+ years of developing applications, 6+ years following Ethereum. Previous experience at a large technology company and a startup.
- Danneh - 1.5 years working on NiceNode (6/2/2022). Designer. Experienced UI/UX designer and Ethereum enthusiast. Great at simplifying complicated technicals into simple visuals and user experience. The designs used in this application are all created by Danneh.
- Gathin - UI developer that has been consistently contributing to tasks over the past few months. Coded \https://benchbuddy.xyz
All contributors are members to the NiceNode’s Github organization: \https://github.com/orgs/NiceNode/people
- Dev credibility - We started with a GUI that only ran Geth, then we added all Ethereum clients, then we fully-generalized the app to support any software that is containerized (can run with Docker) and we did a full UI/UX re-write that is the most simple on-boarding experience to run a node.
- Fully completed ~$55k grant from the Ethereum Foundation Ecosystem Support Program (3 major milestones met and payment received)
- Nominated and received funding from OP RetroPGF Round 2 and we have received 39 ballots for Round 3
- Mentioned by Superphiz in many tweets - most notably: \https://x.com/superphiz/status/1717701265394659742
- Mentioned by Anthony Sassano in The Daily Gwei a few times
- Additionally, we try to be active open-source participants and we report many issues to Ethereum client teams, make suggestions, and improve docs when we spot an issue.
Johns (johns4), NiceNode Discord (\https://discord.gg/k3dpYU4Pn9)
- Do you have a commitment to open-source (i.e. every open-source license accepted by the Open-Source Initiative - (\https://opensource.org/licenses/) technology and sharing results publicly?
- Have you provided transparency about how exactly funding will be used?
- Are you advancing values of freedom and privacy (no surveillance and handling of personal data)?
- Are you supporting decentralization in various fields (for example building Web3 projects - (\https://ethereum.org/en/web3/)?
- Have you provided social media channels to the extent that we can confirm social proof of your project?
Here are some early usage metrics that we have:
Total App Downloads from Github: ~12K
From a 7 day period, Nov 21-28th…
How many users have downloaded and are actively using the NiceNode app?
33 users from 22 different countries opened the app at least once. 13 users opened the app 3 or more times.
Can you provide any statistics on the number of nodes run through the app, particularly Ethereum nodes, Layer 2 nodes, and Farcaster Hubs?
There are 20 ethereum nodes and 4 farcaster hubs. About 11 of the 20 Ethereum nodes are fully-synced (edited)
Please let me know if there are any additional information that you’d like to know! Ps. sorry for the links not formatted correctly, I could only post 2.
- Johns -