Project Name: Fair Data Society
Project Description and why it’s classified as a Public Good
Fair Data Society is an initiative dedicated to transforming the digital landscape by advocating for and implementing equitable data practices. Our goal is to establish a decentralized ecosystem in which personal data is regarded as an inherent aspect of human identity, ensuring that individuals maintain ownership, control, and privacy over their digital personas.
Central to Fair Data Society is the development of a framework that adheres to rigorous ethical standards for data collection, processing, and storage. This framework is rooted in principles such as data ownership, consent-driven access, and the economic acknowledgment of data as a valuable asset. By championing these principles, FairDataSociety seeks to cultivate a digital environment where trust, transparency, and user empowerment take precedence.
Fair Data Society is considered a public good due to its focus on addressing critical challenges in the digital age that impact everyone, including privacy, data security, and fair data management. Our efforts encompass:
1. Advocating for Digital Rights:
2. Strengthening Privacy and Security:
3. Promotes Ethical Data Handling:
4. Promotes Inclusivity and Accessibility:
What have you built:
FairDataSociety has developed a suite of products, each designed to reinforce a fair and decentralized data economy.
- Fairdrive: A decentralized storage solution, Fairdrive acts as a personal data store (PDS), allowing users to securely store and manage their digital files. It operates on a self-sovereign principle, ensuring users retain complete control over their data.
- Fairdrop: This is a secure and private file transfer dApp. Fairdrop leverages blockchain technology for file storing and sending, ensuring no central servers, no tracking, and no backdoors. It epitomizes privacy and security in file sharing.
- FairOS: Positioned as a decentralized operating system, FairOS manages the resources of a network of computers, facilitating storage and compute operations. It includes FairOS-dfs for storage and FairOS-compute for computational tasks, both emphasizing user control and data privacy.
- Fair Data Protocol (FDP): FDP is a data interoperability protocol designed for dApps that use personal data. It ensures privacy and self-sovereignty, providing a private space in the decentralized cloud. The protocol includes various tools and libraries for developers, promoting an ecosystem of ethical and user-centric applications.
What’s next if you receive funding:
Once we get the funding, our main goal is to supercharge Fairdrive. Make it slicker, safer, and roomier for all your stuff. We want it to play nice with other dApps.
We’re also going to give extra love to Fairdrop, making it easier for everyone to send big files without a hitch.
We’re grateful for any funding we can get. Every bit helps us make a bigger difference in advancing data sovereignty and privacy. The more funding we receive, the more we can do, but we’re committed to making the most of whatever resources we have.
To Date Project Funding Sources:
Grants & donations
Links & Resources:
Github: Fair Data Society · GitHub
- Do you have a commitment to open-source (i.e. every open-source license accepted by the Open-Source Initiative) technology and sharing results publicly? - YES
- Have you provided transparency about how exactly funding will be used? - YES
- Are you advancing values of freedom and privacy (no surveillance and handling of personal data)? - YES
- Are you supporting decentralization in various fields (for example building [Web3 projects] (What is Web3 and why is it important? | ethereum.org))? - YES
- Have you provided social media channels to the extent that we can confirm social proof of your project? - YES